![]() |
|||
The former Oratory of Santa Maria Vergine della Croce al Tempio is a historical building in Florence, located on Via San Giuseppe, near Piazza Santa Croce. It belonged to the Company of Santa Maria della Croce al Tempio, founded in 1347 to assist those condemned to death. The name "al Tempio" likely derives from the presence of an ancient Templar hospital. The Company was suppressed in 1785, but the oratory was spared and changed hands several times, including a brief period under the Company of San Carlo, and was used as a mortuary chapel before being abandoned. In 1911, the parish priest of San Giuseppe, Monsignor Luigi D'Indico, initiated restoration work with architect Giuseppe Castellucci, completed in 1912. The Company was reestablished in 1912, but today it exists only on paper.











